Designation/Position- Amsterdam Excellence Scholarship (AES)
University of Amsterdam, Netherlands invites application for Amsterdam Excellence Scholarship (AES) for eligible and interested candidates
About- In 2014, a new prestigious scholarship programme was launched, targeting exceptionally talented Master’s students from outside Europe. The AES is a full scholarship of up to €25,000 (covering tuition and living expenses) for one academic year with the possibility of extension for a second year (for two-year Master’s programmes). Amsterdam Excellence Scholarship
The Graduate School of Communication would like to assist potentially eligible Communication Science students with their application for the AES scholarship.
Are you an exceptionally talented student, from a non-EU/EEA country, do you meet the additional requirements and are you interested in applying for the AES-scholarship programme? Then you’re welcome to apply. Please make sure that we also have received your application for our Research Master’s programme or one of our Master’s programmes before 15 January 2020. The Graduate School of Communication will contact a limited number of potential candidates, to work together on an AES scholarship-application.
Please keep in mind that you must have been accepted to our (Research) Master’s programme before you are entitled to the AES. We advise you to apply for the AES and (Research) Master’s programme simultaneously. The application for the scholarship and programme are two different submissions. You need to submit your application for the programme online. The application for the scholarship has to be sent via postal mail.
Research/Job Area- Master’s Degree
You need to apply via postal mail before the specific application deadline. Please note that only complete applications will be taken into consideration.
A complete application consists of the following documents (sorted in this specific order, not stapled):
- Application Form AES
- Proof of belonging to the top 10% of your class; a statement that indicates your ranking. This statement is only accepted if it is signed by the examinations board or dean of your previous education.
- Certified grade transcript of your Bachelor’s programme; including your GPA. If your grade transcript does not show a GPA, please include a separate statement with your GPA from the educational institute.
- Motivation letter; in which the candidate explains the reasons for choosing the specific Master’s programme (broader context, relevance for future career);
- Curriculum Vitae
- English proficiency test;
- TOEFL score: (internet based) overall score of 100
- IELTS (academic): overall score of 7.0 (with at least 7.0 in each of the four components)
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE): grade A
- Cambridge Certificate for Proficiency in English (CPE): grade C
- One or two letter of recommendation(s); written by a dean, teacher or academic supervisor that demonstrates your affinity and talent for academic research.
- Description of extracurricular activities; such as participation in student committees, international experience, sports or music at a high level or volunteer work
The AES is a competitive scholarship allocated annually by the University of Amsterdam and focuses on exceptional talented and motivated students with a non-European Economic Area (non-EEA) nationality. Therefore the selection procedure will strongly focus on academic performance. Please note that you must belong to the top 10% of your class and have an overall GPA of at least 8 (scale 1-10) to be considerate for the scholarship. Unfortunately, due to high competition, we cannot take you application into consideration if you cannot provide proof of your ranking. Also sufficient English language skills are a selection criteria. Requirements regarding English language level are*:
- TOEFL: Internet test 100 (with a minimum score of 24 in each of the different components)
- IELTS: 7 (with at least 7.0 in each of the four components)
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE): grade A or Cambridge Certificate for Proficiency in English (CPE): grade C
* English language test results may not be older than 2 years
Besides academic performance the Graduate School of Communication will also look at your affinity with research, your motivation and extracurricular activities.
The selection procedure for the AES consist of 2 phases:
- Pre-selection by the Graduate School of Communication: The Graduate School of Communication collects the incoming applications and selects the two most promising and eligible candidate and one backup candidate for the AES scholarship. Only complete applications are taken into consideration. The selected candidates will be guided by the admissions team in compiling a high-quality application file for the AES. Subsequently the Graduate School of Communication nominates the candidate who completed the most high-quality and promising application file for the AES.
- Selection by the central selection committee: The central selection committee selects the eventual candidates amongst the pre-selection pool, mainly based on academic performance.
How to Apply-
Please note that Amsterdam Excellence Scholarships are awarded once a year to students that start in September. Pre-Master’s students starting in September are not eligible for the AES. If you would like to eligible for the AES, make sure that you apply for the September 2020 semester.
Please send your complete application to:
The Graduate School of Communication
Admissions Office (C7.02)
Postbus 15796 1001 NG Amsterdam
Last Date for Apply– 15 January 2020
Draper Hills Summer Program (DHSF) at Stanford University, USA
International Scholarships 2021-2022, University of Oulu, Finland
[…] Amsterdam Excellence Scholarship (AES) at University of Amsterdam, Netherlands Draper Hills Summer Program (DHSF) at Stanford University, USA […]